This article covers two main ways to record your Virtual Panel and the required recording standards for a Virtual Panel to be accepted.
You can also find more information about how to improve your overall recording quality and experience in our Virtual Panel Recording Best Practices article.
Virtual Panel Recording Standards
All virtual panels are required to have:
- 1920 x 1080 resolution for the final recording
- Either 60 or 30 frames per second (60 is preferred)
- At least 10 seconds of “dead space” before the presenter(s) begin
- Title Cards are not permitted, our Team will add a title card to each panel for you.
- Presentation or Panels Materials as the main focus
- A presenter on a webcam as the secondary focus
- Appropriate lighting so the presenter is visible on the webcam
- Clear audio with an appropriate volume, and should not have any crackling or echoing (“tinny sound”)
If your panel does not meet these standards our Team will reach out to you and request you make any necessary changes before your panel is accepted.
1. Installing the Program
Download and install OBS Software at obsproject.com.
Open the program and choose to use the Auto-Config Wizard to setup OBS studio. You can view the OBS website’s quick start guide here.
(Tutorial is for a laptop with a camera and mic. Instructions may vary slightly with a different setup)
2. Adding Your Slides & Webcam
Open your PowerPoint, then go back to OBS studio and click the plus sign in the sources menu. Then click “window capture”) to add your slides as a “source”.
Use the red selection box around to resize and move your PowerPoint screen where you prefer.
To add your camera, click the plus sign again and click “Video capture device”.
Resize your video with the red selection box and move it by clicking and dragging it to a location and size of your preference.
Make sure to keep both your webcam and presentation in the safe zone as shown in the example below.
3. Configuring Recording Settings
When you are happy with your screen layout, click “settings” and then “output”.
- Change the Recording path to any location you would like to save your video.
- Change the Recording to “High Quality”
- Change the Recording Format to “mp4”
- Click “Apply” and then “Ok”.
4. Recording Your Panel
Click “Start Recording” and go to your open PPT to begin giving your presentation as you normally would.
When you are done, click “Stop Recording” in OBS studio. Your recording will be saved in the location you specified.
5. Uploading Your Panel
Navigate to the file saved to the location you specified, rename it, and upload your final presentation to the AnimeNEXT 2021 Panels Application. You are done!
You can view PDF instructions published by the University of Oklahoma on how ro record your panel via Zoom here. https://www.ou.edu/cas-online/website/documents/Using%20Zoom%20to%20Record%20Presentations.pdf